Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The First Post

New Delhi, India.
Valentine's Day,
16:30 Hours.

"First dates are always interviews" ........ thus spoke the all-knowing Van Wilder in the classic camp movie by the same name. Ergo, what should the *first* blog post be?
Heck, you are on a monologue here, right? And even monologues need some sort of a beginning. Mebbe I should start blogging with the kind of "Myself" essay they make you write in Std II. Yeah, that would be prudent, let the audience get an intro on the entity behind the words.

Here ........ get a load of some narcisstic drivel.
Reader, you have been warned.



-----------------------------------------
I'm your average Desi bloke, single, 25, hails from the deep south and a Gemini cusp.
Dad's in politics, Mom is in academics and my kid bro is what these wogs call DOO, i.e Desi Oracle Operator. (A disparaging term for the fresh-out-of-college kids who start out as low level grunts in the IT Grindhouses. He's on his MBA after a little work ex anyway. You go, bro!)

Thirteen years of my life, i.e Kindergarten to Class XII were well spent in a Jesuit school. Oh Yeah, one of the Loyolas. Folks, I owe a lot to that place! I did my undergrad in Electrical Engineering and grad in Aerospace Engineering.... I don't think I am much of an engineer though. Trying to change my track now..... yours truly is presently aspiring to be a member of the elite world of Babudom. Hey, they ain't so bad! We'll talk about this later.

Interests: Ranges from religion and politics down to Star Wars canon. I'm retty well read and well informed for my age I guess. Used to be an avid quizzer in my school and undergrad days you know..... started quizzing at the age of 9 actually. Perhaps the only field I excelled (sad, sad me!). That spirit sorta died out during my grad days in the United States of Archie. Over there, Quiz alludes to an ancient BDSM ritual I do not wish to talk about...... and traditional quizzing is called "Trivia". (Yeah, good luck with American Trivia! How the hell am I supposed to know the etymology of "Elvis has left the building" phrase and the minutiae of Bruin-Trojan rivalry in Football?!).

Passions: Food, movies, music and girls..... and I have considerable expertise and arcane knowledge of the first three realms. No further comments. Thank You.

Political affiliation: Right-off-Centre, selectively liberal, jingoistic outlook...... lifelong Congresswaalah. A bit of a tightrope walk, but I manage. Swung into both ends of the spectrum.... dabbled in shades of extreme right down to candle-kisser-pinko during my "eventful" life. But I have I attained equilibrium Nirvana after years of religiously following the greatest discussion board in cyberspace.

Persona: I consider myself to be devilishly handsome and dashing, but other descriptions strangely range from "Oh, kinda OK" to "Fugly, Butt ugly!". Bollocks to them! In true Yodaesque manner, "Pataoed have I successfully for 10 years. Keep my own counsel, I will". The fact that I am like 25 lbs overweight doesn't even matter here..... Hey, judge me by my size, do you?.
BTW, I'm just 5'10", despite my sincerest prayers to all seeing, all powerful God. I soooo wanted to be 6'7" you see.... ever since I saw an ultracool Clint Eastwood looming down on that wretched Mexican gunman in his greatest western flick 16 yrs ago. The only people I am envious of are guys taller than I am....... insanely envious in fact. The kind of envy that makes one eat human liver with fava beans and a nice chianti. Worst of all, that once-runt bro of mine is now a looming Leviathan at a full 6 foot and 220 lbs. Now he exacts revenge for all the thrashings I gave him in our first 14 yrs of no-rules Backyard Sumo wrestling. :(
-----------------------------------------------------------



Well, I think that will do for a first post.
I have all the time in the world and the right to pen down my thoughts later on, right? The Blog is a pretty good place to indulge your ego, blow your horn, run your propaganda and psy-ops, let off the steam, share the exciting story of your life, speak your mind and you know, just talk! I guess I am going to do a bit of all these in this Blog. One has to ride his favourite pony, eh?

O Fortuna, Velut Luna
is Latin for "Oh Fortune, Changing like the Moon"..... a cosmic truth sometimes invoked as a curse. At least, this funda finds strong resonance in my life so far. It's also the catchy refrain from the Gravity of Love song by Enigma. It's a personal favorite of mine and a good example of my kind of music,i.e New Age. Moreover, it connects to the astrological explanation for what I am - "Moon in the 12th house. His mind will wander.... he will not be satisfied with mere continuity (thats a nice way of telling I won't stick to one field/job) , his love and his interests will be fleeting". Well, that oracle got it 400% right. I am a believer. I thought of using this phrase as the blog title..... but I think "The Wanderer" defines me more accurately. Amen.

I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.......... shall I begin blogging?
Cheers.

11 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger Jiby said...

aliya, beautiful, wonderful post!!! the way u wrote just doesnt look like a first post...wonder why u didnt start earlier...our american days wud sure have given u so much fooder for thought and words...guess there's a time and place for everything!!!

btw...ur coming to the blog world has inspired me to write an exclusive post dedicated to pappanabahan gaffes over the years... btw join the kerala blogroll and once ur in, republish this post...more folks deserve to read this than just me, thy great precursor in the blog world...hehe!!!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger greatbong said...

Best of luck on your blog-journey. I always wonder why the Americans call it "trivia" instead of quiz...mmm...

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Anand K said...

Sorry for the delay in replying folks...

@Jiby: Thanx boss! And abt that expose on me..... be afraid. Be very afraid, I have put the hex on thee. Remember the lessons of the movie Oldboy! No dark secrets from my murky, torrid, bloodstained past.... Comprende? ;)

@GreatBong: Used to wonder abt that myself.... people used to give me all sort of weird answers that would make Parnab look like the fr1ggin Oracle. It SEEMS after that Quiz Show scandal of the 50s (sketched in that cool movie by the same name, *ing John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes), they wanted to do away with that "black" tag. So when they released Jeopardy in the 80s, they called it "Trivia"..... Dunno. Just guessing.

@Hiren: I hope I could do a good job at this blogging.... My long suffering friends plead that I use this as an outlet for my feverish mind and 1500 HP mouth, thus saving them from a lot of Takleef.

@Manu: Thanx Manu!

@Sewer Salmon: Gosh, nice handle! Deeply philosophical too. I can't even imagine a salmon going upstream a sewer. ;)I loved that fava beans scene... but my fave in Hannibal canon is the good doctor frying Krendler's yummy looking brain and serving it to him. Talk about recycling....

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger deepthi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger deepthi said...

Yes, you may begin blogging. :)
Such grand introductions need not end in seeking permissions!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Scoot said...

great to see you blogging.enjoy the ride

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Anand K said...

@Deepthi: Yes Milord. Will comply! :P

@Maya: Thanx Maya. BTW, thats a chweet profile pic.... I gotta ask my mom if I ever managed that when I was in my diapers.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say dad is in politics and mom is in academics. You could have said, they are in the same profession. Whats the difference. A

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a beautiful post! realy gr8 one...

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O fortuna is incidentally an opearatic piece and the first line goes as u described. The omen/old spice sound track. Anyway pappy nice posts, especially about our school. keep up the good work.

Peri

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Anand K said...

@ Anon: Errrr.... there are *tenuous* links onlee, right?

@ Deepu: Thanx Deepu. :)

@ Appu: Wow, a comment from Herr Peri himself! Thanx boss.

Yeah, Oh fortuna of Karl Orff. But was it featured in The Omen? IIRC, it was another piece called Ave Satani. (A cool, creepy one though! I still shudder at that shot of the guardian's cold stare at Thorn's wife.... just before she kills her)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor Blogs by Indian Bloggers